Skip to main content

The playground theory

As part of a fitness routine, my husband and I have started going for regular walks. Bangalore, famous for its 'parks', has a small one just about a kilometre away from my place. We go around the park several times hoping the weighing scale shows some mercy on us and we have thankfully been successful so far.

This gives me the time to think about life, how time has passed by in a hurry and how things have changed in so little time. Looking at 2 feet tall kids running around, it makes me feel so old and it got me thinking - when was the last time I was so carefree and all I had to worry about in life was "When do I get to go to the park the next day?"

To come to think of it, kids during their playtime can actually teach you a lot and so can monkey bars and slides! Here are some instances that got me thinking:
  • The oh-so-tall slide - Kids are hell scared to get on top of the slide and are terrified that they might tumble down. But when its quite successful the first two times, they don't mind repeating it - over and over again. What does the slide teach you? You gotta climb uphill and you will come stumbling down. But you better gather yourself and get ready for the ride. All over again!
  • The devilsh swing - We pretend like we're going to fly across to the other side if someone pushes the swing harder. What it actually teaches you - there are going to be ups and downs in life; just enjoy the ride!
  • The monkey bar - Don't we all just love monkeying around. To me, it just teaches you to hold on, no matter what. Otherwise you're just going to fall face first and break your teeth
  • The infamous see-saw - This is more of a combination - hold on or you are bound to fall down and expect life not be all fun and frolic. It's going to be one hell of a ride
  • The Confucious jungle gym - There is no one way to get out of trouble. Try and try till you succeed
  • The dusty sandbox - Sometimes it is okay to just let go and not get hassled about every little thing that's going wrong. Just take a chill pill and throw around some sand
I don't mean to sound like a 70 year old who has done it all and seen it all but, just.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bittersweet Symphony

22 nd April was one of the most exciting days of my life. My interview result was on its way and I had my end semester exam in less than 2 hours. I was least concerned about the fact that I hadn't studied a word as the suspense was killing me. I still remember the way my heart skipped a beat while i was waiting for the results page to load. Finally, I got in. I faired pretty well in my law paper, got the course that I wanted and that too in Bangalore. It was the best day of my life. I finally got a platform to do what I wanted to do the most - Be independent. The idea of staying all by yourself in a new city was something that made me more anxious and impatient. An hour felt like a day and i had to wait 2 months for me to get to my new life. However, when one is so thrilled and excited he/she tends to forget that he/she will be leaving his/her hometown, family and friends. I was no different. But then, a week before I was leaving, that's when it hit me. I practically grew up

Progression vs. Regression

Common man lives in an environment that is altered and changed by him. Over the years, he has evolved, therefore having an after-effect in his surroundings. He started to change his channel of thinking and developed his milieu that suited his way of living. A society is subject to change; the main reason being, the residents are humans. Human beings are never constant. Their basic needs and necessities keep altering as they evolve. Thus, man decided to take nature’s assistance to provide his ever growing population with food, clothing and shelter. This is where it all began: Climatic Regression. Change is good when the society has sustainable development. This means the society moves up the ladder without damaging its surroundings or disturbing any part of nature. This was not how man was going to achieve his goals in life: “keeping nature in mind!” Instead, he decided to sabotage the vivacity of nature and her components and keep himself happy. Climate, like humans is subject to chang